Pages

Thursday, June 05, 2014

Hi, I am an EVE Altoholic

Hi, my name is Jeff Kione and I am an EVE altoholic. Welcome to my blog.

The purpose of this blog is to give the reader a new player's perspective on EVE Online. My blog will primarily focus on my interests, which at this time are wormholes, trading and the economy, and industry.


One of the best things about EVE is that there is such a wide variety of things to do and to try. As someone who has a lot of interests, it was not long before I started creating alts to try out different aspects of the game. I have a WH PI alt, a trader alt and a manufacturing alt at this time, in addition to my main character. 



---


I started playing EVE a few months ago when I heard about one of the big null-sec battles on Reddit. As a big MMO player, I was surprised that I had not heard of EVE Online before and I was excited to try it out. I did some research on the game and heard about it's incredibly difficult learning curve. The more I researched, the more interested I became, and I was incredibly happy when my download finished. After I joined the game, my first priority was to join EVE University because I was using its Wiki as my primary source of EVE information. 


My first goal as a new player was to get into mining because I had read much about mining being a good way to start the game. While mining does generate ISK, it was not long before I grew incredibly tired of shooting asteroids in high-sec. I participated in one (and only one) shared can mining fleet that lasted for several hours. The ISK I made from that fleet was nice, but the process was so mindnumbingly boring that I needed to find something else to do.


Exploration had been something that I was interested in after doing the exploration tutorials at the start of the game and hearing of the vast riches that could be obtained by doing it. I remember quite clearly scanning down my first wormhole and mentioning what I had found in the EVE public chat. Several people encouraged me to jump in, perhaps hoping that I would be met with a fleet of wormhole denziens on the other side. Lucky for me, I made it out of that wormhole alive, but I got bit by the wormhole bug and became very focused on gaining the skills required to live in w-space.


Fast forward to the present and I am still with EVE University. I am a member of the Wormhole Campus and I'm living full-time in w-space. I have learned a good deal about what it takes to live in w-space, and hopefully I can pass some of that knowledge on through this blog.


My next several blog posts will consist of posts that I've already written and published on the EVE University forums. They detail my initial foray into w-space, prior to my main character joining the Wormhole Campus. Once I have caught up, I will begin posting about my current endeavours.


Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment